Saturday, May 11, 2019

Challenge Accepted - The Great Garden Experiment 2019

I spend a lot of time on YouTube and came across a new garden challenge posted by Cara Grandle that I was grabbed by. The Great Garden Experiment 2019 has three parts, with a question associated to each.

1. What are you doing for the first time?
2. What frustration/challenge are you determined to conquer?
3. What are you growing into or is there a new skill you're bringing to your garden journey?

The Three Sister's method of planting is a first for me as well as corn, which is an integral part of the method. As mentioned before, I spend a lot of time on YouTube and a lot of it is watching videos of other gardeners. Many use the Three Sister's method which, upon doing some research, has been a method used by Native Americans for a very long time. You can read more from The Farmer's Almanac. This combination of corn, beans and squash will be seeded in my front flower bed that I'm sacrificing for the food garden expansion. It's not a real sacrifice considering I couldn't win the battle with weeds in that area - I just can't understand why that area gives me the most trouble with weeds!

Now on to the carrots. The first time I tried to grow carrots from seeds, they came up very tiny and had a small yield. Within the last year I went forward with a second attempt - it was a complete fail. Needless to say, carrots absolutely fill the requirement for question number two; a frustration I'm determined to conquer. This time I plan to plant a few different types of carrots, each in the ground and in a container. I want no room for error!



The third question was addressed with my new raised bed, but I think it can be addressed better with another new addition to my garden that I will reveal in a future post. Stay tuned!

WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
grandmasEFG@gmail.com
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE

No comments:

Post a Comment