Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Fairy Garden Class - Wheelbarrow Garden

Wheelbarrows are a necessary tool for gardeners. I bought one quite a few years ago when I began gardening so it had become a bit weathered and run down, causing me to buy a new one recently. Instead of throwing out the old one, I decided to turn it into a fairy garden. Home Depot is where I bought this one for $20 so they're not too expensive and because it's plastic, my husband was able to easily drill holes in the bottom for drainage. As you know, drainage is very important. Also, while I was at Home Depot I noticed they have different colored wheelbarrows now to help bring color to your yard.


Of course you want to fill your wheelbarrow with rocks, wood chips (this is basically for filler to cut down on the amount of potting mix needed) and potting mix. The wood chips will decompose causing the soil level to lower over the season, but I will add more potting mix at that point (since most of these plants are seasonal and I'll be redoing this garden).


I planted a few different plants here and kept them on the outskirts of the wheelbarrow, allowing a lot of room in the middle for fairy related decor. The tallest plant is placed in the rear which will accent the fairy house once it's placed.


Once the plants are all in place, I decided to put a few different rock sizes and colors.


I placed this house in the middle of the scene on top of a saucer (as we know, they provide a level foundation) and a cluster of moss. I also made a rock path leading to it. 


Fairies come as soon as a garden is finished.  Ivy and Simone enjoy the new scene.


Julip plucks at a rose and enjoys the afternoon.





PLEASE COME VISIT MY FAIRY PAGE
grandmasefg@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Love your fairy grden, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. That's what keeps me going; hearing from all of you. Hope to hear from you again soon.

      Delete