Thursday, January 7, 2016

Poppy Lane - On The Up and Up



 It wasn't long ago that Poppy Lane was introduced into our happy fairy community - March 2015 to be exact. In the photo to the right, the head gardener is surveying the grounds of Poppy Lane. This was taken before the area bloomed with a burst of color.

Poppy Lane was also home to a family of gargantuan sunflowers in Spring... and Summer and Fall and Winter. They reseeded many times and outlived the Poppies and towered over everything, including my house (although those particular sunflowers weren't planted in Poppy Lane)!

There would still be sunflowers there today if I hadn't pulled them. They will be back, no doubt, as this clever plant reseeds itself. I have new plans for Poppy Lane and have acquired an array of clippings from a very dear friend of mine. Poppy Lane is in for a new look this year.



New to this area is the cinder block border in hopes to contain the plants to this area, as well as outline the perimeter. Cinder blocks also offer a natural container and even spacing for small plants. I've planted poppies in these spaces which I predict will make this area stay true to it's name.


All of the succulents in this area were clippings from my friend's yard. Succulents need to be cut back every so often, so a few cuttings are easy to come by and save money. If you know a friend who had succulents in their yard, don't be afraid to ask for a cutting or two.


I don't know the name of most of these plants but I have an example from her yard of what these clippings will grow up to be.


Some of these plants have the ability to grow to be massive, so make sure to research how to trim succulents. Even the largest succulents can be delicate.


Here is a photo of a Poppy seedling (and an even smaller one near the rear).


This Poppy is quite a bit further along than the previous photo. I'm excited to take pictures of the finished product.



PLEASE COME VISIT MY FAIRY PAGE
grandmasefg@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to be able to display your miniature fairy gardens with your real garden as a
    background.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I do very much enjoy incorporating fairies into my real garden. It makes it so much more interesting.

      Delete
  2. I wanna have something like this too! I love sunflowers also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Keep your eye on my blog, there are more sunflowers to come. :)

      Delete