Thursday, January 18, 2018

Fairy Garden Class - Fern Fit For Fairies


This month's Fairy Garden Class is taking a step away from the winter theme and utilizing a variety of Fern, including the adventurous asparagus fern.

For this project I've used a 12" diameter Terra-cotta pot with drainage holes, lined with coffee filters. Coffee filters are a cheaper alternative and still biodegradable which keeps the potting soil from escaping the drainage holes while still allowing the water to drain. You can use any type of container you wish but make sure it's not shallow because ferns like to stretch their roots. I know that in a few months I will need to transplant these ferns elsewhere to give them more growth. The purpose of this particular container garden is to be entered into a garden show. And here's an extra safety note: don't fill your pot with soil until it's in the location it will remain for the next few months or you have a muscular helper (these pots can get very heavy)! 

For this particular project, I needed the smallest ferns I could find so that I could fit a variety in one pot. I found what I was looking for at Lowe's Home Improvement for under $20. It can sometimes be difficult to find small enough plants for a miniature garden at large stores, but I was lucky enough to find what I needed in this trip. 




I decided a layout and planted each one around the outside, allowing space for a central focus piece.


I was able to take some thin branches from a nearby tree to create an eye-catching arch to frame the focus of this garden. I was so excited to find asparagus fern during my trip and knew I needed to use it on the arch. Asparagus fern is unique because unlike most other fern that are bushy, it likes to travel, growing up and out to anything it can reach! I gently wrapped the tendrils around my makeshift arch and used zip ties to secure it. In a few weeks the fern will gain some girth and be stable enough to hold the arch without the ties.


After adding finishing touches that include colorful rocks, gravel and driftwood, I made Bridget the focal point. It looks like she has been traveling for some time and found a nice place to rest and take in the lovely scenery.

I hope this tutorial has been helpful. If you have any questions or would like to share your container garden photos with us, please leave a comment or email me - I love reading from My Fairy Folks.





PLEASE COME VISIT MY FAIRY PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment