Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Painting and Prepping for a New Look


I'd like to share with My Fairy Folks a story about how these two characters came to look so full of life.


In late 2017 I found this male fairy at Parkview Nursery in Riverside (this photo was pulled from a different post but shows the fairy best). Unfortunately his face was a little expressionless so I would try not to get too close in photos. A few months ago I came across a similar male fairy in a canoe at the same nursery and decided to purchase it. This wouldn't be the first time I've used two different figurines to play the role of the same character; I've also done this with some Disney character miniatures.


This gnome on a mushroom was gifted to me earlier this year by one of My Fairy Folks. I could tell that he was in need of a repaint. When I spotted a blue shirt, red hat gnome in a canoe recently, I knew this was a perfect opportunity for a canoe race scene. I had two characters that would be represented by four miniatures. But first, I needed to get new paint on the pieces.


In the few years I've been doing this fairy garden blog, I've been able to meet some very talented folks and am happy to call most of them My Fairy Folks. I reached out to one in particular who I was told does wonderful work with painting miniatures. I asked if she could add a face to my two leading characters and she was happy to help. When they were returned to me, I was very impressed with how they came out! 


Not only did she add personality to their blank faces, but she also repainted texture and clothes so that each character truly looked like their match. While the boy fairy was a bit easier since they came from the same miniature designer, the gnome required a bit more effort and finesse. I'm so very grateful for her work and friendship. I am pleased to know that there are people out there that stand behind giving new life to old things.

WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
grandmasEFG@gmail.com
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE

No comments:

Post a Comment